The futures bright, but is it Yellow?
It is no secret that for some time now, the mammoth that is the Google search engine has been over taking the ever endangered yellow pages. Businesses both small and large are choosing to invest more and more in SEO companies in order to create an online presence rather than paying for an appearance in the golden bible.
However, don’t just take my word for it. It seems that within the last few weeks the company has come into some serious trouble. As the bank prepares to seize control of its publisher ‘Hibu’, it has become apparent that the company has £2.2bn worth of debt on its books, over 100 times its own value. But how did it come to this? Lets break it down.
Yellow pages receives approximately 30 million searches per month, it is ranked #135 of all websites from Alexa based on Traffic, and it does still hold a great deal of authority within the marketing industry. However, according to a variety of websites and surveys 70% of people rarely – if ever – use the yellow pages, and of the remaining 30% that do, just 7% use it regularly. Also it is worth adding that the majority of Yellow Pages users, are 55+ in age.
Search Engine Optimisation
Google is the number one ranked site on the internet, 92% of adults use search engines on a daily basis, with over 1 billion searches conducted every month. However it is fair to say ranking your website can be a costly business, but with a future proof strategy in place it can be a long term investment.
To sum up, it appears to be that Yellow pages has seized to move with the fast paced world of online marketing, and any that does not recognize the online world is ever changing is going to get left behind.
Looking forward, there is every chance that the only yellow we will soon be seeing, is the O in Google.