Should You Be Thinking About Mobile SEO
It is estimated that around 40 million Brits have a mobile phone, this roughly equates to 85% of the UK’s population. The developments in mobile technology has given mobile users the opportunity to browse and buy online through their mobile. I can’t imagine how many hours are whittled away by weekday commuters browsing the net, keeping up to date with the latest news, and catching up with friends through social networking sites.
We are now at the stage where not only does your website need to be search engine friendly, but its also time to think about ensuring it is compatible with mobile searches.
Traditional search results are much more comprehensive than those for mobile search, and different mobiles will deliver different results. To ensure your site does well in mobile search it is important to implement traditional SEO techniques:
- High quality W3c compliant website coding with small file sizes.
- Improve your page loading speed, as mobile browsing tends to be much slower than on a PC, and high bounce rates will effect your listing.
- WPTouch is a free plug in and will reformat your WP blog/website for mobile browsing.
- Create a style sheet specifically for mobile browsing (I am not a designer so that is far as I can help with that one).
- Create a mobile sitemap and add it to your Robots.txt along with your websites sitemap.
When adapting your website for mobile phones you need to consider the limited area you have and choose carefully what you want to display, copy should be short and concise, bare in mind the mentality of a mobile searcher they want no thrills information and they want it quickly. It will be interesting to watch mobile search develop, with real time information and an increasing amount of local search results, including the integration of click to call numbers on mobile listings it is all going to add a new dimension to how we approach SEO.